IGT and Yun's run
8 months ago

What do mods think about running the game at 60fps? I had a discussion long ago about the timing for Tournament mode and Knockout and it was agreed RTA was the way to go, yet IL times are captured with IGT so it is amusing it is required to use RTA on a full run where there are players that use emulators with different load times, furthermore the 1st place in Expert tournament is allowed to run the game in 60 fps which makes absolutely no sense, is there are any reason this is still allowed in the leaderboards? The fact that not many people do full runs is not an excuse to implement rigorous rules.

Romania

If the game doesn’t naturally run at 60 fps then that wouldn’t be allowed indeed. A human mistake by a mod which is possible. Also ILs use IGT because that is their timing method, while FG runs are meant to be timed with RTA because it isn’t a singular level run.

Demanding the run to be timed with RTA is completely arbitrary and doesn't solve the fact that the times are gonna be unfair as there are load times differences, the explanation isn't satisfactory as many communities have got around this issue by implementing either loadless times or IGT for the FG timing method, do all the mods agree with this timing method? The leadearboard here doesn't make any sense with this timing method.

Romania

Most games on this site use RTA for FG runs. Also communities implement loadless times when there is a loadless timer, which this game doesn’t have.

Edited by the author 8 months ago
Shiinyu likes this
United States

It's annoying in my opinion that Tournament and Knockout use full RTA run times, due to the aforementioned existence of (some? most?) people here running emulators with effectively zero loading times. The buttery 60fps of those emulator runs is another story. My knockout run, which I did on a PlayStation, got "beat" the other day by 12 seconds... on an emulator run that probably had 60 seconds or so less total loading times than a PlayStation run. I wanted to do a Tournament run, but it felt pointless, knowing that non-emulator runs stand no chance on the full game run leaderboards since we're counting load times and going RTA.

Since emulator and PSX runs have to coexist on the leaderboards, in my opinion it seems more fair to adopt a full game run timing strategy that does not penalize on loading times, since counting load times renders emulators (those emulating a game that had a separate PC-specific release...) the only way to be competitive.

Edited by the author 8 months ago
Hungary

Fat PS2 also has a fast disk option that works for a lot of games, although not sure about this one. There are some boards where you are forced to use a PS2 to stay competitive. LRT might be a very good idea here, since there are only a few loading screens, however, in my opinion even IGT would suffice for this game, as the time spent in menus is trivial.

In general, emulation rules for PSX NFS games are not very well defined, and for some reason you are allowed to use very inaccurate emulation that removes slowdowns, and/or massively speeds up all menus.