New to this website and the idea of speed running a game
2 months ago

Hello everyone,

I watch GDQ religiously every year and have always thought it would be really cool to speed run a video game, but never knew what game. Fast forward to last year, my wife got me the TMNT Cowabunga collection for my switch, had all of my old favorite TMNT games, especially the Gameboy classic, Fall of the Foot Clan. I started beating the game and trying to get my score higher and higher and then I realized that I think I know this game well enough to start speed running it.

So I tried and its a whole different beast than just knowing the game. Does anyone have any advice to help someone get started? Like is there a routine you follow?

The biggest questions I have is:

1. What is the best way to practice a game?

2. do you run specific areas over and over?

3. how do you stay motivated to get better at this one specific game?

Thanks in advance, maybe one day ill be on the leaderboards!

Kentucky, USA
italvera
Any/All, He/Him
2 months ago

Try a game that's short and easy to speedrun, that you also like. You can do IL (individual level) or full-game speedruns. For practice, for me, I like to go with "try before you buy." Personally if I want to put a strat in a run, I try it out, see if I like it, and if I do, put it in a run.

United States

Hello!

This is an interesting idea. Here are some tips I have for you. You can refer to it.

Practice regularly: This is the key to improving your speed run performance. Take the time to replay the game, focusing on each part, each difficult area to understand how the game works.

Instead of replaying the whole game every time, break it down into sections, such as levels, bosses, etc. Get familiar with and practice each section.

Review other people's speed run videos, study their techniques and how they move, control. This will help you learn and apply it to your own play.

Save what you did, how long you played, and what you need to improve. This will help you track your progress and adjust your strategy.

Connect with other people who are speed running the same game. They can share tips, advice, and even organize speed run competitions.

BoBoFraggles likes this
Glamorganshire, Wales

the most AI generated response I've seen in ages, jesus

Very helpful! Thank you all so much, I have just been playing the game over and over now and will eventually start trying to actually beat leaderboard times eventually. Need to work on my setup to be able to actually time myself as well!